Home‎ > ‎HBSA NEWS‎ > ‎

Antique Firearms Regulations

posted 11 Mar 2021, 10:40 by Tony Cattermole   [ updated 11 Mar 2021, 10:40 ]
Following my earlier posts the Home Office have now advised us the Transitional arrangements :-

The Home Office have just published their circular on the new Regulations - here is a link to it: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/circular-0012021-antique-firearms 

It sets out the legal and practical effects of the Antique Firearms Regulations and the associated Commencement Regulations, and also provides links to both. The new definition of ‘antique firearm’ will come into effect on 22 March 2021 and the transitional period for licensing etc former antique firearms will run for six months until 23:59 on 21 September 2021.

Also attached is a short summary of the changes, plus a flowchart which may assist anyone less familiar with this to decide whether a firearm qualifies as antique, which the H O dropped from the circular for technical reasons. They hope to include it in the HO guidance instead.

The following comments may be of assistance:
  • When transferred to FAC as a Sect 1 item, an ex 58(2) may only be possessed (as described in Sect 126 of the Policing and Crime Act 2017)
  • It will require you to have your own Sect 5 RFD to sell it. That is why Sect 7 is the best alternative as the Sect 7 rules allow more flexibility. The Sect 7.1 option will likely apply to most pistols affected
  • Any longarm chambered for the cartridges removed from the list will be Sect 1 and may be added to an FAC and handled as such
  • For the seven revolver models involved you do not have to prove good reason to put them on FAC - they will also be a collection
  • However you will have to comply with all the other arrangements and security as required for an FAC item
  • If you have these 58(2)s to deal with then you must apply for an FAC or variation during the transition period, as mentioned. Once you have done so you will be deemed to have complied even if the issue of your documents goes beyond the transition period
  • You may sell these items as a 58(2) during the transition period. Of course if you wish to sell one of the Sect 58(2) items before you may do so. You may also acquire them and include them in your FAC application or variation, during the transition period
  • Once the Law is in place, those of you who have rifles chambered for the cartridges added to the Obsolete List (see list in earlier post) which you no longer wish to shoot, you may dispose of any ammunition you possess and tell the police that you wish the rifle(s) removed from your FAC as you will hold them under Sect 58(2.).
I hope that this is helpful. Please contact me by email at chairman@hbsa-uk.org if you have specific questions.

Best wishes
Derek Stimpson