Home‎ > ‎HBSA NEWS‎ > ‎

Home Office advice re European Firearms Pass

posted 24 Feb 2019, 15:11 by Tony Cattermole   [ updated 24 Feb 2019, 15:12 ]
Members should note the following email received from the Home Office.

I will keep members posted but if there are any questions I will try to deal with them.

Derek Stimpson

Home Office advice re EFP

"I’m writing from the Home Office, working on preparations for our exit from the EU on 29 March.

Leaving the EU with a deal remains the Government’s top priority. This has not changed.
However, a responsible government must plan for every eventuality, including a no deal scenario. We have previously written to you about guidance for travelling with a European Firearms Pass if there’s no Brexit deal, so people could make informed plans and preparations.

Changes to EFPs

If we leave the EU without a deal, UK residents will no longer be able to use a European Firearms Pass to travel with their firearm. They would need to comply with whatever licensing requirements each EU country imposes, as well as UK import and export licensing requirements.

What this means for your members

Anyone travelling to, or due to be in, an EU country with their firearm after 29 March will need to check licensing requirements with the country they’re travelling to. This is particularly important if any of your members are taking part in competitions or events shortly after we leave the EU.

Countries may have varying lead times for applying for licenses, so your members should consider checking requirements now.

If you are sponsoring an EU visitor to the UK, you should apply to the local police force for a Visitor’s Permit like now, but will not need to show a valid EFP as part of this process.

Next steps

We’d like you to share this information with your members, to make sure they’re prepared in case we leave the EU without a deal. If you receive any enquiries from your members, sponsors or visitors about travelling with firearms after we leave the EU, you can direct them to further information on GOV.UK. “